During this workshop the group was told to unpick our bodices and start again because the fabric was too wrinkly. To correct this we pressed both sides of the fabric putting weight onto the iron and ironed some stayflex onto the top fabric pattern pieces. The pressing flattened the fabric and reduced the wrinkles but not entirely as the fabric has a natural crease in it. After completing my bodice for the second time I certainly noticed the difference compared to the scrap pieces of fabric I had not pressed. The bodice looks a lot better and I am pleased with it.

We was also told that the net we dyed to match our bodice fabric needed to be re-dyed to be toned down and made darker. As the net is nylon it does not soak up much dye meaning it was hard to tone down the pink and make darker. After dying some samples I used this dye recipe:

10l cold water
1 cup soda ash
1 cup salt
2tsp Rust Orange
2 1/2 tsp Dark Brown
1/16 tsp Black

Left for 1 hour
Spun and left to dry

I am pleased with the second colour of the net, it is a lot more muted down than before and matches more with the bodice.

From these two changes I have learnt that I should have been more aware of what was happening to the bodice fabric and done something about it or discussed with the group solutions in which we could over come this problem. From the dye I have learnt more about mixing different dyes and that the colour you want may include some surprising dye colours to get there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers