In this unit I will develop my skills in costume construction into a new area of costume. This will be achieved by exploring the construction of costume in the form of ballet. I will apply practical and creative skills I have gained from previous units and develop these skills by completing a set of dancewear workshops and self directed learning as well as working as part of a team with other members of the group making the final outcome of a classical tutu. Within this unit I will broaden my knowledge of costume into the area of ballet by researching into the history of ballet to gain an understanding of the art itself and how it began and how it has developed over time into what we associate ballet as today. In addition to this, I will also research into the types of ballet costumes which are used in performance.

In this unit I will work with clients from Arts Ed to replicate, (to an extent) one of their classical ballet tutu’s, which they will use as part of their costume stock in next years dance performance. At the end of the project I will have a chance to have the costume photographed professionally.

From completing this project I will have gained the knowledge and understanding as to how a classical tutu is constructed in modern day industry by constructing one myself. I will also gain background knowledge into the creative art of ballet.

I have decided to construct a classical tutu for my Self Directed Project because I want to be challenged on a whole know level away from anything I have produced on this course so far. Furthermore I will be able to achieve a completely new set of skills in the area of dancewear which is something I have not yet covered. These newly acquired skills will possibly open more doors for me when I come to work in the industry. Another reason which directed me to choosing this option, was because I am interested in and have wanted to learn how the construction of a classic ballet tutu works. This project will allow me to improve on pattern cutting and draping on a stand as well as gaining experience in working with different fabrics. Also I will gain broaden my knowledge and understanding of costume construction. In this unit I am hoping to learn how to make a classical tutu and improve my team skills by working as a team with the rest of the group. I am also hoping to gain a lot of knowledge into ballet through my research with will help me to understand ballet.

For this project I will:

- Produce a ballet costume which reflects on the original whilst incorporating modern construction techniques.

- Compile a research file relevant to the area your of study. This should include an overview of the history of ballet and the different styles of ballet costumes as well as images to back up research.

- Produce step by step write-up on new techniques.

- Within the Blog you should write reflections on tutorials and fittings.

- This should all be under pinned by personal development planning (in your blog journal) and a final written evaluation (750 words) evidenced in your Progress File.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers